Any reason certain vehicles were removed over time?

Discuss your suggestions
erfleming
Rookie

Any reason certain vehicles were removed over time?

Postby erfleming » Fri 31. Oct 2014, 18:23

Over time, many vehicles and some weapons have been removed that 'used' to be in the game, and I've often wondered why. Also, there are a number of weapons/vehicles in the FunMod that are actual and current weapons/vehicles, but have never been incorporated into the actual game:

=E=Q=U=I=P=M=E=N=T=

[M16 A2]
-Later stock game via patch, FunMod
--The M16 A1 and A2 were, originally, introduced at the same time, but the A2 could only fire in burst, not full auto mode. It was, however, available at a much lower price and, being otherwise identical, was a much better option for low money presets.

[M15 Smoke WP]
-Stock game, FunMod
--The original, plain old, grey smoke grenade. It was less noticeable than any of the brightly coloured smoke options available now and, even where it was seen, it could leave the enemy with ambiguity as to whether it had been deployed by a friendly or an enemy (when used for concealment or to retreat behind, a good thing).

=V=E=H=I=C=L=E=S=

[AS 565 UB Panther]
-Stock game, FunMod
--This was in the original game, since removed, but still appears in the FunMod. It was identical to the Panther 'still' featured in the game in almost every respect except that it lacked armament in exchange for three extra seats. It was basically an inexpensive transport helicopter with better performance and a much smaller profile than the giants that otherwise now occupy the lowermost cost end of helicopters available in-game.

[Hovercraft]
-Stock game
--Referring to the original, behemoth hovercraft (based on Russia's Zuber-class LCAC: http://i.imgur.com/0mHZfxA.jpg) that appeared in-game, not the much smaller one depicted in FunMod. The original was a substantial vessel with two rapid-fire 20mm cannon turrets, similar to that of the M163 and those mounted fore and aft on the destroyer. It was, at the time, the only watercraft truly capable of defending itself from air attack. It later disappeared, however, rendering boats next to useless for a while (any that spawned were almost immediately farmed).

[Landrover MG]
-Later stock game via patch
--Landrover but with an MG mount, like PCV Jeep MG but with less exposed crew.

[M113]
-Later stock game via patch
--About as basic as an Armoured Personnel Carrier can get, predating the era of true Infantry Fighting Vehicles. Was little more than a quasi-armoured box on treads which afforded its passengers, at best, protection from rifle-caliber bullets. Had a single (albeit exposed) MG mount. It was useful, even so, in that it was, while present in the game, the cheapest 'armed' vehicle that was also immune to small arms.

[M163]
--An anti-aircraft adaptation of the M-113, with a rapid-fire 20mm cannon turret (similar to the anti-aircraft guns fore and aft on the destroyer) in place of the M-113's exposed, lighter MG mount. This was added by a patch to the game, but later disappeared. It still appears in the FunMod.

[M270 MLRS]
-Stock game, FunMod
--This was present in the original game, although its missiles were purely optically guided/remote-controlled. It was the only real form of stand-off artillery available, something the game is currently lacking. As depicted in the FunMod, its rockets are unguided. This deprives it of its ability to function as stand-off artillery (i.e. its rockets cannot be fired in a ballistic arc), although it does allow for more rapid, life-like volleys to be fired.

[M966 TOW]
-Stock game, FunMod
--M998 'Humvee' but with TOW missile in place of MG mount. Such vehicles do much to add to the life-like variety of vehicles in game as, while it was present, their was each of a standard troop-carrying (H998), anti-tank (this), and anti-aircraft (M1097 Avenger) variation of the Humvee.

[MedEvac]
-Stock game, FunMod
--Identical to Supply V. mentioned further on except used to refill medical, not engineering kits.

[Motorcycle]
-FunMod
--Functions well enough in FunMod and would add more variety to the extremely low cost transport options available.

[Su-39 Frogfoot (Su-25TK)]
-Stock game, FunMod
--This was the original variation of the Su-25 in the game, predating the hydra rocket-equipped Scorpion. It was actually my preferred aircraft as (compared to most) it had a very stable/controllable flight model (virtually never suffering the rudder-stricking glitch still afflicting many others), a decent high-powered gun (30mm), and a versatile loadout of four anti-tank and four air-to-air missiles. The aircraft still appears in the FunMod but appears, as represented in the mod, to be glitched - you cannot enter the aircraft and no weapons appear on its pylons.

[Supply V.]
-Stock game, FunMod
--This was actually very useful (to me, at least) as it was small, armoured against small arms fire, yet could easily be concealed (compared to current, more vulnerable options) in bushes near your 'fighting' vehicle. This allowed for the quick refilling of engineer kits when fighting from a relatively static, defensive posture.

[UH-60M HOT Gunship]
--Not really sure why this was removed from the regular game, but it still appears in the FunMod. Basically an anti-tank configured Blackhawk with sixteen Hellfire missiles. Traded the agility, immunity to small arms fire, and comparatively minute size of the Apache for twice the guided/anti-tank missile capacity.

Angelus

Re: Any reason certain vehicles were removed over time?

Postby Angelus » Sat 1. Nov 2014, 01:47

There's a wide range of reasons on why these items have been removed. Some have been removed due to balancing or in order to streamline the game (there's little need, beyond aesthetics and personal preference, to keep 5 different variants of the same gun, for instance). Another reason is that in some cases (and don't nail me down to this if I'm mistaken), the rights for the models used are contested.
There are other reasons as well, such as faulty hitboxes on models, faulty model design causing bullets to hit different hitboxes than they should (or none at all), etc.

I'm not 100% positive, but if iirc the MRLS was one of the models which was used in spite of licensing issues, but was later removed due to these issues. An example for the defective models was an MBT, I believe it was one of the more modern ones, like the Merkava II or the Leopard.

erfleming
Rookie

Postby erfleming » Sat 1. Nov 2014, 16:04

Even if not from the standpoint of player preferences for personal vehicle/equip usage, more variety simply makes the outside game environment more interesting (with a greater, more life-like variety of potential friends and foes). I am not sure what tank might have been removed. As I recall, the Abrams, T80, T90, Type 85, Type 98, Challenger, Merkava, and LeClerc were all in the original game. The Leopard II, I believe, was added later.

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Mon 3. Nov 2014, 18:57

"More interesting" is player preference :)

Return to “Suggestions”