Omaha Beach and other ww2 maps

Discuss your suggestions
IgorWarrior
Corporal

Omaha Beach and other ww2 maps

Postby IgorWarrior » Tue 2. Sep 2014, 00:52

I was thinking about the Omaha Beach (D-Day maps) and other famous battles (Stalingrad ^^) as maps. Would be nice for Conquest and CTF.
I don't have much experience with the editor so I'm posting this suggestion to anybody that can edit maps. Maybe this could be for FunMod, as long I remember Operation Overlord mod is outdated, but let me know if that mod had these kind of maps

Shore
Development Team - XML Artist

Re: Omaha Beach and other ww2 maps

Postby Shore » Tue 2. Sep 2014, 13:18

As far as I know several maps got some kind of inspiration from real world locations - on some the name looks alike.
As I do not really appreciate to much to 'play' a war theme, were both of my grandfathers fought against each other, I feel not much encouraged to create a WW2-map (it also may glorify real wars a bit to much, okay thats just my personal point :ico_peace: ).
Although you are not much into the editor, you may draw some kind of draft or blueprint showing the conception of a map, maybe that gives some further inspiration?! cannot give any promise but guess just a name of a location does not give any inspiration at all, does it? :)

Pat-Poker
Corporal

Postby Pat-Poker » Thu 4. Sep 2014, 17:35

The map "Invasion" is a bit like a D-Day map, one of the Cp is even named as Omaha Beach.

Celt
Private

Postby Celt » Sat 6. Sep 2014, 17:23

On a side note and to add to 'real' places.One of the maps on the SSC server is in the shape of Ireland without the north of Ireland!!!!!

Not to get all political but these maps were all over Ireland in the days of the 'troubles' to highlight the obvious.Whats odd about it is that it was an Irish thing and not well known to the rest of the world.

It would be a bit like scotland now producing a map with England or Wales attached to it.

MorGotH
Administrator

Postby MorGotH » Mon 8. Sep 2014, 14:55

To be precise the worldmap was generated from satellite data of siberia, everything that resembles anything else than siberia, is by chance or was modified by a mapper to look different. So everything in Soldner happens on a 3500*2500 km map of siberia, although modified in some places and i strongly doubt that anyone just made an ireland copy for fun, it's more likely the islands just look alike.

cheers

MorGotH

IgorWarrior
Corporal

Postby IgorWarrior » Thu 6. Nov 2014, 15:56

Yep, I noticed it when I entered the editor.
I can try to learn how to use it better now (finally I got some time) and I liked the idea Shore, I shall see if I can draw those maps or post images here (for me and anyone who wants to make a WW2 map).

Return to “Suggestions”